Short Functional Text is a short text that has particular meaning and purpose, and can be used in our daily life. It may be in the form of prohibition, invitation, greeting cards, short message, shopping list, notice, announcement, etc.
Look at some examples:
Example 1: Announcement
The Functions: to provide complete and clear information about certain events or occasion
Some characteristics of announcement:
- Straightforward and ease the readers to get information quickly
- Keep it short, inviting, and to the point.
- Clear and complete
- For a bad news, make a direct and no-nonsense statement.
Example 2: Greeting Card
Greeting Cards functions as an expression of sympathy and care to others.
The purpose is to congratulate someone’ achievement, express sympathy on someone’s, and motivate someone on gaining achievement
Some characteristics of greeting card:
- Clarify a clear purpose
- Use an appraisal diction
- Accurate addressee
Example 3: Invitation
Function/Purpose is to o invite someone to attend an occasion.
The Structure/Parts: The addressee (the person invited), salutation, the message (the content of the message), and the Sender
Some characteristics of invitation:
- Having an accurate addressee
- Giving clear time, place, and activity
- Providing sufficient information about the inviter
- Expressing that the writer is looking forward to seeing person
- If there is a dress code, state it in the lower left-hand corner
Example 4: Notice/Guidance
The Functions of notice/guidance:
- Prohibition notifies people not to do something. People may find this kind of notice in a public places.
- Caution or warning warns people to be careful in handling something. Ignoring the notice may cause injury or breaking the facilities.
- Guidance gives information to people to do something appropriately.
- The informational notice provides information that could be useful for people.
Example 5: Short Message
Its function is to send an important message to other people
Some characteristics of a short message
- Clear addressee (someone who receives the message)
- Straight forward
- If it is an instruction state it clearly.